It's been said by probably every parent: "I can't believe how fast they grow up." Yep, it's true. I can't believe Alyssa is eight! When she was born I was given this cute little white flower made of ribbon that came with a poem about how you put the ribbon on their wrist when they are blessed, then in their hair or something when baptized, and finally on their garter or something when they are married. You know, the three big "white dress" events in a girl's life. I remember when she was blessed, putting this cute little thing on her tiny delicate wrist and thinking that the next time I would use it seems to be forever away. And yet, here it is, in a little over a week she'll be baptized. It does seem like forever before we will use it again, but years from now I'll probably be in awe at how fast it all went.
I guess that's enough reminiscing for now, before I get all choked up. So let's get to the fun stuff, her birthday. We had returned home from vacation the day before, so the friend party we planned was for the following Tuesday.
 |
| Alyssa's new hair cut (and the super cute shirt I made using my silhouette) |
Alyssa had been begging me to get a hair cut that included "bangs". Not 1980's bangs, but trendy side-sweeping bangs. So I finally gave in on her birthday and we took her to get this cute hair cut. I have to admit, it is awfully cute on her, she knew what she wanted and she looks adorable, and as much as it pains me to say it, she looks really grown-up.
Grandma and Grandpa Summers were tending my nephews that weekend, so they came to visit and let the boys share in her birthday. They were so cute, they couldn't wait to see her and give her their presents (and she loved them.) We celebrated with some cupcakes and an afternoon together.
 |
| Ian, Andrew, Alyssa and their cousins Luke and Ethan. |
 |
| I love how she scrunches up her nose like this. |
That evening we decided at the spur of the moment to go to Lagoon with some friends (we have passes, so we can be spontaneous like that.) The kids had a great time even though it was very crowded.
 |
| A little air-guitar to rock her birthday. |
The following Tuesday we had an "Old Fashioned Garden Party" where her friends were invited to her Grandma and Grandpa Schoenfeld's back yard in their "fanciest party attire." The girls all came dressed up fancy and we decorated fancy party hats. We had a luncheon with finger foods such as croissant sandwiches, fruit kabobs, chocolate cream puffs (Alyssa's favorite) and pink lemonade. We also ate on beautiful glass dishes with fancy little cups. The girls fell right in with their parts. They drank out of their little cups with their pinky finger in the air and sitting up straight at the table. At one time I overheard one of the girls say to the others, "Excuse me ladies I need to get more drink." I couldn't help but chuckle how they were really getting into it.
 |
| We made these little gift-bag labels on the silhouette. |
After lunch the girls played croquet in the yard and somewhat just played, which Alyssa specifically asked for some time that they could all just play. She is brilliant like that, free time for them all was simply perfect. I did have to have a picture of the group all in their fancy dresses and hats. Just love how cute they all look.
 |
| Alyssa and her party guests. |
 |
| The cake I made for Alyssa, it is suppose to look like ruffles. |
After the party was over and all was cleaned up, I asked Alyssa what she thought of how it all went. Her response to me was, "It was better than I had hoped." I too was happy with how things worked out (and a huge thank-you to my mother-in-law for using her house and yard and to my sister-in-law for her help), but with Alyssa's response, it made me feel the same way.
2 comments:
What an absolute adorable idea. The girls looked so cute. I love the group photo. That is precious. You should send that in to some magazine or something fun!
Super cute hair cut on her and I love the party idea, super fun!
Post a Comment