Saturday, July 26, 2008

Seen any bears lately? I have.

Ok, so I haven't posted for a while because I was getting ready for a little trip and then my little trip turned into a long one. It's late July and in the Summers family that means--YELLOWSTONE! Yippee! (This was our 25th year in a row) My family planned their annual trip for this past week. Unfortunately because of some conflicts Jason had we weren't going to be able to go during this week. My parents were kind enough to extend their plans a little so that we could leave last Wednesday afternoon. We would go up with them and then we would leave on Sunday and they would stay for the rest of the following week. As we were in Tetons and Yellowstone at the end of last week I found myself having a hard time enjoying myself knowing that they were going to stay an entire week longer and I would be home missing out. I was quite upset and knowing this, Jason suggested that he go home to fulfill his work/Army duties and that the kids and I stay and just come home when they do. So, my 4 day vacation turned into a 10 day vacation. Luckily for me they have a general store and a laundromat there.

We had a great time and I took almost 250 pictures and tons of video. So I guess its time for me to get srappin' and I will post the pictures as I scrap them (I included one below just to tease you.) We saw more bears up there this year than anything else. Really, we've never seen so many. And, the best part is, that most of the 7 or so bears (I lost count) were right near the road. In fact, one huge old male grizzly was walking right along the road and walked right past our truck. I got some great video of it.

As fun as it was, I am sure glad to be back in my own bed tonight...and back to a routine that I was so anxious to leave behind.

My mom wanted a family photo. This was our attempt. Not bad considering this was just done with the self-timer!

A few "moments of the week" (thanks Mindy)
  • Ian LOVED the water at Jackson lake and didn't care if he was dressed to swim or not
  • While riding in the stroller at one of the thermal areas (geysers and hot pools) Ian ran his hand along the wooden railings and had slivers all over his hand...I couldn't believe how many and not one whimper or complaint. Alyssa would have gone nuts with just one sliver.
  • The mosquitoes were terrible this year. I think like in Utah that area had a late spring/winter thing going on. The water levels in the lakes, rivers, and streams were really high and as a result the mosquitoes were insane--blood thirsty.
  • Ian loved seeing the bison/buffalo (take your pick of name) and called them bu-hu-ho. Very cute.
  • Alyssa really took to her little cousin Luke and became his buddy. She wanted to ride where he rode, help him, play with him and take care of him. She also just loved being around my sister-in-law Sandra.
  • Ian learned to say Alyssa's whole name. Prior to this trip he called her "Sa". Now he gets the whole "Al-lyss-a" in there. Again, very cute.
  • Alyssa caught a little frog down by the water in the Tetons. She kept it in a little paper cup for a few hours then we convinced her to let it go back at the waters edge. She was quite proud of finding this frog and some boys swimming in the water there were quite jealous of this little girl.
  • Having cookies and milk with the kids almost every night before bed.
  • Uggggh...I had to listen to Rush Limbaugh everywhere we went all week. I've had my fill for the next few YEARS!
  • Taking a couple of hikes that were 2-3 miles long each...Alyssa walked them both and was really proud of herself for walking so far.
  • Too bad, I missed seeing Jason march with the Army in the "Days of '47" parade in Salt Lake on Thursday.
  • Swimming in the pool at the Grand Teton Lodge...could there be a more beautiful setting for a pool? (Well, I guess some tropical island might beat it out.)
  • Chatting with a man and his wife from Holland in the pool. He and his family were in the Tetons on vacation, then on to Yellowstone, then Salt Lake, then Moab. He sure thought they were "magnificent" and also wondered why American kids were so fat and why American RV's are so huge.
  • Sleeping in the back of my Dad's truck the last two nights with the kids on an air mattress. Last night we shined the flashlight at the ceiling and made hand shadows. My dinosaur hand shadow ate Alyssa's shadow. The kids thought I was so funny. It's nice to think that they think I am actually funny once in a while.
  • Creating great memories with my kids, my parents, and my brother's family.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Sounds like you had a GREAT trip! The family picture is so cute. I am glad you are back though...missed you!

Angie said...

That sounds so fun! I love how you said it's nice that your kids think you're funny once in a while...I'm only funny if dad isn't anywhere to be found!

Brad Anderson said...

Sounds like fun! I have enough of Rush Limbaugh just hearing name. If you had also said Sean Hannity, I think I may have been sick for a few days!
We just got back from camping yesterday. We didn't see bears this year. But Bear hunters were all over the place with their hounds.

Ashley said...

I love that picture!!! I can't believe you've gone up for 25 years! What a great tradition!