Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Goodbye to Jason and an Announcement


I experienced a moment in my life today that I actually never thought would happen. Although Jason has been in the Army as long as I have known him and I always knew this would be a possibility I never thought I would actually have to have that moment where you say goodbye and send them off for a year.

We got up this morning at 4:30 so that we could be to Fort Douglas by 6:00. They divided the brigade up into three sections (alphabetically) and sent the first two off by 8:30. Jason's section, however, was not scheduled to leave until about 2:30 or 3:00 in the afternoon. So we were on "stand by to stand by" mode (as my dad would put it.) Even as we were waiting around all day today it just didn't feel any different to me as he was still there with me. It wasn't until the busses and motorcycle police escort showed up that it first began to hit me.

As they said their goodbyes and then stood in formation it got a little surreal. I really got emotional when he boarded the bus. But the really sad part for me when things got real was when the busses pulled away with their police escort. Watching them drive away and turn that corner was extremely emotional.

Now, as many have asked me and you are probably wondering, how did the kids do today? Well even though we've explained to them about him leaving for a long time, they still didn't seem to understand. Ian was definitely way more interested in trying to catch the grasshoppers and dragonflies. Alyssa understood that he was leaving but still didn't seem to understand the depth of what today was about. In fact, she seemed a little worried or even embarrassed that I was crying. She kept asking me why I was crying and since we were going out to get something to eat with Jason's parents after she told me "You don't want all those people at the restaurant looking at you because your eyes are red, do you?" (Yeah, she's probably heard something like that before...from me.)

So as for the announcement. Most of you reading this already know, but I am taking on this new adventure with Jason gone while I am pregnant with our third child. This explains why I haven't posted anything on this blog for a while. I have been very sick, pretty much the same level of sickness as with my other two pregnancies. Honestly, I have lost all motivation for sitting at the computer. That includes the digital scrapbooking that I love so much. Hopefully those days of nausea, vomiting, and pure discomfort will soon be behind me and I can focus on taking care of things around here.

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Thanks to Jason and all those that sacrifice for all of us.

-Danny

Emily said...

How are you doing now that it's been a couple days? I've always gotten choked up watching soldiers leave their families, but know it's Jason and that it's you being left here I just bawled. But thank you, it really puts it in perspective what soldiers do for us. I just cried as I watched the fireworks this year. Each boom just echoed freedom and reminded me of all the men and women who have given me and my family that freedom. Thank you. Hang in there! MaryLee, you and Jason are in my prayers.

Jenny said...

Ok, I am crying again and can't stop. Hope you are doing ok. I am thinking and praying about you lots.

Jen said...

Oh MaryLee, I am way behind on reading blogs but thanks for posting your story. I hope you are feeling a little better. Please let me know if I can ever help in any way.