Sunday, November 8, 2009

Some Things to be Thankful About

I just returned home from Los Angeles. You may remember back in June that Jason, Alyssa and I went to L.A. for a conference put on by the Army Reserve for deploying/deployed families. This time I went by myself. The particular phase of the program I went to this time was geared at the families left behind while the soldier deploys. The meetings I attended this time were about coping with feelings and upcoming holidays, insurance and legal questions, etc. Not only was it a chance to become more informed about resources and expectations, but it became a chance for me to fly to L.A. and meet up with some other wives from Jason's unit. For me personally this was a morale booster that I am so thankful for. It was so nice to be with these other wives. We learned a lot but mostly we laughed and had a great time despite the fact that the hotel (and food especially) left much to be desired. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity this weekend provided for me to connect with these other women who are going through this with me. I am also thankful to my parents for taking Alyssa and Ian for me so I could enjoy a couple of nights by myself.

Listening to the other wives talk I learned that their husbands have complained to them about the food where they are. One wife said her husband asked her to send some really nice (high thread count) sheets and bedding for him to sleep with. So when Jason called me today while I was still in LA I asked him if he wanted bedding (he's been sleeping in a sleeping bag for four months now) or why he hadn't complained to me about the food. His answer to me was that he feels as though he can't complain. He said he has it much better than most guys who are now in Afghanistan or even many people all around the world. The food may not be perfect, but he has plenty of it, plenty of choice, and he doesn't go hungry. I have to admit that I was very proud of Jason at that moment. We do have it pretty good, and I am especially thankful for a husband who reminded me of that today.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I've been thinking of you guys this past week. I was glad to see your post. Hope you have a good Thanksgiving. You're in our prayers.