Saturday, September 11, 2010

Labor Day Camping Trip

For Labor Day we reserved a camping spot at the Tanner's Flat campground up Little Cottonwood Canyon. It was really fun. We went up on Saturday morning. After setting up camp we took a walk down to the creek to throw rocks. Alyssa was having a blast on her scooter. She would ride up the hill and then coast really fast back down.

We made tin foil dinners which the kids thought was so fun and they were both able to customize their own dinner, so there was no arguing over how much they had to eat. That night we had a campfire and made smores. [click on image to enlarge]

Unfortunately we couldn't get the Coleman stove we took up there to work, so we used our resources and decided we'd cook our pancake and bacon breakfast over the coals. I'll admit, not having the resources to cook caused a little more difficulty, but it was kind of fun to REALLY rough it. And in the end, everybody had a hot pancake and some bacon for breakfast, so it worked out just fine.
That day we played some games I brought, made some little nature-related crafts, and cooked dinner in the dutch ovens. Jason's sister Jenni and her husband Jake came up and had dinner with us and we enjoyed sitting around the campfire with them that night.
We had a bit of a problem with Andrew crying that night, but in the end it didn't really matter and we had a great time. I hope our kids had as much fun as it looked like they were having. I was hoping to have some time alone together as a family and make some memories, and I think it was mission accomplished.

No comments: