Sunday, May 11, 2008

Moab/Arches Weekend

What a fun weekend we had. We needed a getaway so we went to Moab on Friday (not a last minute thing, I did have to plan this ahead of time.) So on the first evening we did the "Park Avenue" hike. I have decided this is my favorite hike in the park. It is considered and "easy" hike. It is about a mile and you are down in this steep canyon with steep walls on the sides so it feels like you are walking down...you guessed it, Park Avenue. I love to take this in the evenings. It isn't a highly traveled hike because it is one way, either you have to turn around or someone has to get you on the other side. Jason turned around about half way and drove the car to the end and met us there. Because there aren't very many hikers, this is quiet and peaceful. Basically you are walking down a dried up stream (technically it's a wash since it only fills up after a big storm.) Really stunning. I just love the peacefulness of this hike.

We bought the kids these "Camelbak" backpacks so they could have plenty of water. The kids loved them and our little plan to have them carry their own water worked like a charm. These will be great for other summer activities like parades, camping, etc. We pretty much went straight back to our cabin from here because we simply couldn't miss the Jazz game. Thankfully our little stripped-down cabin at least came with cable TV (I'll get to pictures of the cabin later.)














On the second day of our adventure we went on a hike called "Negro Bill Canyon." We attempted this little hike two years ago when Ian was a baby. We only went a little ways because we were leaving for home that day.

I wanted to try again. It is down in the bottom of this steep canyon where "Cattle Creek" runs along the trail. Because of the water there is tons of vegetation and it is kind of different from anything else you get in the area. The trail crossed the river three or four times. Alyssa loved walking across the stream and doing this "all by herself." Unfortunately after we'd been hiking for what seemed like forever, we asked someone coming down how much farther. They said at least a mile! Yep was enough for us. We stopped for a break of chips and cheese and crackers before we turned around and tried again. Still, it was fun and everyone needed a good nap after that.

That evening we went up to Sand Dune Arch inside Arches National Park. This is the perfect place to just let the kids play. Because it was evening it wasn't very busy and the kids LOVED running up and down the sand.

Today we packed up our belongings, checked out of our cabin and attempted one last walk/hike as a family. We went to the "Windows" area of the park. We walked the mile loop to "Window" and "Turret" arches. It was beautiful and we were able to snag this family picture where everyone actually looked at the camera. Lucky.

Here are some pictures of our cabin.
It was nothing but some beds, a table, a fridge and a TV. Not even a bathroom. This was a good compromise between camping in a tent and renting a hotel. (Especially by price too) They had all the little cabins named like the southwest, like "Jail" "Bank" "Saloon." When we checked in she said we would be staying in the "Brothel." I laughed out loud, but she didn't think it was as funny as I did. Jason said it wasn't anything like he thought a brothel should be...ha ha. We really liked this little place and I would stay there again for sure.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Sounds like fun! The pictures are gorgeous, of course! We have those same camelbacks for the boys and we love them! They will come in handy...we use them for everything! The cabin/brothel is cute too. What did you use for a bathroom? Just curious.

I am glad you got away for a little break....

MaryLee said...

Well, it's like staying in a campground (which is was) you just use the public restrooms which weren't very far away. They also had showers too. I thought the place was very clean and well cared for. I should also mention that we had to bring our own bedding, as you can probably see in the photos. I didn't mind bringing quilts and sleeping bags...it made it kind of fun.