Friday, May 2, 2008

Neti Pot

I found myself suffering from a sinus infection this week. Not fun. After prescribing me some antibiotics the doctor then told me I should use a neti pot. A what? He started describing it to me and then I realized it was this thing my Dad has been using. A neti pot is a sinus cleansing system. It is a little pot that looks like Aladdin's lamp. You fill it with a saline powder, mix it with water and then the crazy part happens. You put the spout of the pot into one nostril and as you follow the directions you pour the saline solution into your nostril. When you are following directions it flows through your sinuses (and not down your throat) and back out your other nostril.

At this point you (and I) would think this is nuts and wouldn't even dream of pouring water through our nose and sinuses. However, I was pretty miserable and was willing to do anything that would provide some relief. So I went to Walgreens and bought this little thing. I had to ask where it was and the guy told me they sell a lot of these, especially since it was on Oprah a while back. And as crazy as it sounds, I actually went home and did it. Not to be gross, but I have to admit I was a bit surprised at how much "stuff" came out my nose. I could actually breathe again. There was something satisfying to know that I had gotten all that disgusting pussy mucus out of my body.

The neti pot is good for, sinusitis, colds, flu, and allergies. It "removes inhaled irritants. Promotes nasal and sinus drainage and it helps reduce the swelling of nasal membranes." The doctor also told me this would be helpful with my cat allergies. He said that those allergens stay in our sinuses after we breathe them in. He said it can take our bodies a week or more to break those down and so we continue to suffer those allergies. He suggested using this after I've been around cats to wash the allergens out of my sinuses and I will feel better faster. If you're really curious about this whole thing, you can follow this link to a video that shows you how to do it and why it works. http://www.sinucleanse.com/video_full.htm

By the way, at Walgreens they were about $15. You can print a coupon for $2 off at their website (www.sinucleanse.com). Since I have asked a few people about this, those that were familiar with it said only good things about it.

Happy Friday...and have a great weekend!

1 comment:

loft2dwell said...

That's awesome! I'm going to have to get one. I dont' have too much sinus trouble, but Mike sure does, and we're both getting over this awful cold/flu thing. So I'm going to give it a whirl and hopefully we'll both be breathing much easier. Thanks for posting about this!

Carrie