Thursday, October 23, 2008

What Books Do Your Kids Read?

The kids and I love to go to the library and check out books. Especially now that Alyssa is required to do 20 minutes of reading every night, we need to change out the books we read often so we don't get bored with them.

My new favorite thing to do is to log into the county library system, search for books, and place requests for them as I feel that our local branch doesn't have the selection I wish it did.

I am wondering, what are some of your favorite childrens books? Or what are some of your kids' favorite authors? I think we all might enjoy reading the responses. Maybe I should know this since I did take Children's Literature in college. Since my kids are not reading on their own yet I'm leaning mostly toward picture books. I do read aloud some small chapter books though.

And, one more thing. With Christmas coming up, what are some of your favorite holiday picture books? I'd like to make my request list for holiday books soon.

Here's a few that we have really enjoyed:

Charlie and Lola, by Lauren Child (several books about these characters)
Books by author, Demi
Once Upon A Dragon, by Jean Pendziwol (Stranger danger book that rhymes, very cute)
Parts, by Tedd Arnold
Pigsty by Mark Teague
Junie B. Jones (we are reading this series in order and really like it)
Arthur by Marc Brown (really like these small chapter books as well)
How Do Dinosaurs.... by Jane Yolan (all in rhyme about manners and behavior.)
Anything by Eric Carle

That's all I can think of for now. Please leave a comment and let me know what childrens books you recommend. I will continue to add a few more when I can think of them.

On the right column of this blog I will list current books we're reading (or at least the ones we have checked out of the library, not the ones we own.)

2 comments:

Angie said...

My kids love the Ramona books and the first Boxcar Children (the rest are mysteries and I can't remember if there is anything "scary" in them or not). They also like the Magic Schoolbus. We enjoy chapter books because 20 minutes can be a long time with picture books.

It's a good idea to read books about elections. I'll have to check out those and you should list that one you told me about with stranger danger.

margaret wheeler said...

These are our family favorites...
-"Llama Llama Red Pajama" & "Llama Llama Mad at Mama" --Anna Dewdney
-Giles Andreae books..."Rumble in the Jungle", "Commotion in the Ocean", "Dinosaurs Galore"
-"The Wide Mouthed Frog"...Jonathan Lambert
-"My Monster Mama Loves Me So"... Laura Leuck and Mark Buehner
-"Dinosaur Roar pop-up" ...Paul STickland & Henrietta Stickland
-"Fannies Dream" & "The Escape of Marvin the Ape" -Caralyn & Mark Buehner
-"Rainbow Fish"...Marcus Pfister
-"Click Clack Moo" & "Giggle Giggle Quack"...Doreen Cronin
-This our all time favorite Halloween book "Room on the Broom"...Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler
-- "Too Many Frogs" by Sandy Asher and Keith Graves
--"Duck on a Bike"-David Shannon