Saturday, May 16, 2009

Armed Forces Day

At an Armed Forces Day event a few years ago.

Probably most people reading this didn't even realize that it is Armed Forces Day. I did. And I wanted to use this as an opportunity to tell Jason how proud of him I am. He probably won't even read this as he is out of town. Jason and I met just a few days before he left for Basic Training in 1997. I know that for him the Army can be a hassle and sometimes a pain in the you-know-what. But I have to say that I have always been proud of his service in the Army Reserves. We have had to make sacrifices and we are soon about to make a major one with his upcoming deployment. But despite those sacrifices, I have always been proud that he has made this decision to serve our country. These days it is not as common as it once was. This past week I bought a yellow streamer with a blue star and the word "ARMY" on it to fly with our flag. I just love watching my Army streamer fly in the wind along with our beautiful flag. I don't think I have ever been quite so proud of our flag as I associate it so much with Jason's service.

On Monday morning (like 4:00 am) we were taking Jason to Salt Lake for this trip he is on we stopped in at 7-11. While Jason was inside the store Ian suddenly got very excited and exclaimed "Look! There's an Army guy in there!" I looked and realized he was talking about Jason.

Growing up my dad worked for the Utah Air National Guard. He worked there until his retirement a few years ago. I had those same feelings growing up of my Dad's service to his country. I was always proud to say what my Dad did for his job, because even at a young age I recognized that it was special. So to Jason, my Dad and to the Opperman's: Thank you for your service and Happy Armed Forces Day!Jason is on the left. This is for fallen soldier ceremony he participated in a lot that summer.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Happy Armed Forces Day to you too! Thank you Jason for serving our country. We are very proud of the service you give and our prayers will be with you and your family daily while you are away.