Monday, August 24, 2009

Recent Happenings

Since Jason was allowed to come home for a few days we decided to celebrate Ian's birthday last night (actual birthday is tomorrow.) This four-year-old is completely obsessed with bugs, so we made him a bug cake. Chocolate cake was covered with chocolate cookie crumbs to look like dirt and then some plastic bugs (new and clean) were added on the top. Funny, even though he watched me crumble up the cookies and add them to the top he said to me "I don't want to eat any cake, I'll just watch you guys." When I asked him why he said, "I don't like to eat dirt." He did have some cake later by the way.
Then today was also the first day of school. Alyssa is now officially a first-grader. She was so excited to get to school today and eat lunch there with her friends. These are pictures of her before we walked to school and then at her new desk.

Finally, I loaded some pictures from Jason's camera on my computer and I just couldn't resist sticking one of him in here. This is him doing some training in Texas. It sure has been nice having him home these last few days. When he got home for the first 48 hours the kids just followed him around and wanted to be by him whenever they could. I guess it would be truthful to say that I just wanted to follow him around and be by him whenever I could too.
Hopefully, crossing our fingers, he will be allowed to come back for four more days on Thursday (yeah, another flight just a couple of days later, but hey, we'll take what we can get.) If all goes according to plan (and I've learned with the Army not to count on that) taking Jason to the airport today will only be a temporary parting and we will be picking him up again in three more days.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I'm so glad Jason was able to be home for a few days, and I hope he's back again for the weekend. Love the bug cake. Your kids are so cute!