Hi Everyone,
I thought I’d take a minute and let everyone know how things are going and what I’ve been up to since leaving in June - sorry it’s taken such a long time and I hope to send updates more quickly in the future.
Since leaving, most of our time has been in Fort Hood, Texas where we spent time training up on tasks needed before deploying (like shootin’ stuff). Texas wasn’t too bad, but I wouldn't say it was much fun either. I don’t remember much about Texas other than the extreme heat and humidity and an armadillo a few of us saw on a hike one evening. I’d forgotten my camera that night and wasn’t able to get a picture of it. It was fun to see and I was kicking myself afterwards for forgetting the camera.
After a couple months at Fort Hood we finally got orders to leave and we’ve split the last month between Kuwait and Iraq. Kuwait is super hot - hotter than Texas hot. You walk outside and 5 minutes later you have a pounding headache from the heat. It’s so hot your eyes hurt and you can’t go more than a few seconds without sunglasses (seriously). It’s also extremely dry and dusty. I didn’t see a single tree (or cloud) the entire time I was there, but they do have air-conditioning and a Starbucks with wireless internet!
Iraq has been a lot more hospitable, as far as climate and scenery. It’s actually very nice this time of year. Since getting here, things have been going well - just getting used to the job at the moment. The accommodations are pretty good and I split a small room with another guy from my unit (a welcome change from the 60-man bays at Hood). It is a little unsettling to finally be here and at times it does get a little crazy, but we’re super busy and the time seems to be passing quickly.
I’ve attached a few pictures (I’ll try and send more in the future). Below is a brief description of each:
Waiting to qualify at the range (Ft. Hood, Texas).

Waiting to qualify at the range (Ft. Hood, Texas).
Waiting to offload baggage (Iraq).
Thanks for all the support and I’ll try and send updates more often in the future.
Jason

1 comment:
What a nice update. I still can't believe that someone I know personally is making such a big sacrifice for our country. Thank you!
Post a Comment