I am the Relief Society Meeting Coordinator (better known as Homemaking Leader). For our March birthday celebration we had a dinner and an activity called "Our Favorite Things". The dinner was delicious, we had Cafe Rio style food. For the activity we tried to do it "Oprah" style. Remember on her show how she would reveal her favorite things before Christmas and give them away to the audience? That was the idea, only we didn't have millions to spend, so we asked those who wanted to participate to bring an item that is one of their favorite things, $5 or less. Everybody who came got to put their name in the basket and after we described each of the "favorite thing" items (who brought it and why it was their favorite) we drew a name from the basket and that person went home with the item. It was great fun and quite interesting to see the different things people brought. Some brought gift cards to their favorite restaurant or place to get a treat. Some people brought their favorite beauty product (favorite lip gloss, foot loofah, bubble bath, etc.) Some people brought their favorite thing to do to relax (favorite book, DVD and popcorn.) Some brought their favorite treat (candy, ice cream, etc.) And some brought their favorite cleaning or household products, just as some examples.
The activity was a huge success and thanks to the second counselor in our presidency, the decorations were fun and colorful. My kids and I had been sick with the flu in the days leading up to the activity and since most of my help bailed out on me in the weeks leading up to the activity, it turned out to be quite stressful for me. On one hand I really enjoy this calling and feel that I can put on a pretty good party, but at the same time, I just can't do it alone and that is very frustrating for me. Nonetheless, here are some pictures of our party.
The activity was a huge success and thanks to the second counselor in our presidency, the decorations were fun and colorful. My kids and I had been sick with the flu in the days leading up to the activity and since most of my help bailed out on me in the weeks leading up to the activity, it turned out to be quite stressful for me. On one hand I really enjoy this calling and feel that I can put on a pretty good party, but at the same time, I just can't do it alone and that is very frustrating for me. Nonetheless, here are some pictures of our party.
![]() |
| Under the boxes were our favorite things. We lifted up the boxes to reveal our favorite things--Oprah Style. |


1 comment:
What a fun idea! You know great ideas are the best ones to copy. :)
Post a Comment