Friday, September 12, 2008

Filling My Bucket

As a school-wide project Alyssa's school is focusing on a book called "Have You Filled A Bucket Today?" It is basically a twist on the "golden rule." It explains to children that we all carry an imaginary bucket in which we keep our feelings and emotions about ourselves. When the bucket is full we are happy and when it is empty we are sad.

"Bucket Fillers" are those that help without being asked, give compliments, and general kindness to others. "Bucket Dippers" take from our buckets by being mean, refusing to help, or bullying. Alyssa's teacher explained to me about this book when we met with her at the beginning of school. I hadn't heard any more about it until a few days ago.

When I picked up Alyssa from school at the end of last week she said to me, "You're sure a great Mom." I was a bit surprised and I thanked her and asked what this was all about.

Her response was, "I'm just filling your bucket."

I can't help but chuckle and smile when I think of this little story. I think this is a good lesson for all of us to be bucket fillers.

No comments: