Sunday, September 14, 2008

My First Marathon

Well, not really. The title of this post is not exactly accurate. It was a marathon relay so I actually ran 1/5 of a marathon. Back in June I found out about the Utah Marathon Relay. It is a marathon divided into five 5.2 mile legs. I emailed a few friends to see if they were interested and next thing we knew we had a team. (Wish you were with us Angie!)

I was pretty worried in the last week or so leading up to the race because my knees started hurting so bad I couldn't even run. I was given some great advise from my "coach" (Jason) and from his sister Jenni (one of my teammates) and I bought some new shoes. That made all the difference.
I was the first runner for the team. Followed by my neighbor Tamra (not pictured because she had to leave immediately following her leg) then my cousin Julie. Following Julie was Jenni and finally a friend of mine, Amber. Each of us wore a different color race number. The color you wore determined which leg of the race you were running. It was a bit discouraging as I was slowly plodding along when coming the other way were runners wearing the green race numbers. I knew that meant that others in my leg had already finished and I was still a mile away.It was a really nice course. It follows along the Jordan River in South Jordan. We had a good time together and we didn't even finish last! This was our finish time. Sadly, Jason's time in the Top of Utah Marathon next weekend will leave us in the dust.

5 comments:

Angie said...

Good job Mary Lee & friends! That is a GREAT time. Isn't it an average of less than 10 minute miles?

Jenny said...

Awesome! I am so proud of you! I think I know #27 in your picture. Did she go to Morgan? Amber Manning (maiden name)? That's a really great accomplishment, and you look great!!!!

MaryLee said...

Thanks. Well, if you notice, we are all wearing #27 because that was our team number. I believe you are referring to the one in the orange top with the red number. Yes, her name is Amber. I'm not sure of her maiden name but she is from Morgan so likely it is who you think it is.

Ashley said...

I am so stinkin proud of you! I still remember running with you every morning! Great memories. Thank you for all of your help with the wedding dress and I wanted to tell you I just found out that Jeff and I will be sealed in the temple! (: Life is full of unexpected miracles (:

The Risenmay Family said...

Great job MaryLee! Did it give you the bug to run more races? I would love to run a race with you one day.