Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Recipes

So here are three of the recipes from Sunday's dinner.

Bacon-Wrapped Pork Tenderloin Medallions
Serves 4-6
12-14 Slices bacon (1 slice for each medallion)
2 pork tenderloins (1 to 1 1/4 pounds each), trimmed of fat and cut crosswise into 1 1/2 inch pieces.
Salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1. Place bacon slices, slightly overlapping in microwave-safe plate and cover with plastic wrap. Cook in microwave on high power until slices shrink and release 1/2 cup fat bur are neither brown nor crisp, 1 to 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towels and cool.

2. Wrap each piece of pork with one slice of bacon and secure with 2 toothpicks where the ends of the bacon overlap. (See recipe on web for illustration.)

3. Season with pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook without moving pieces, until well browned, 3-5 minutes. Turn and brown on other side, 3-5 minutes more. Reduce heat to medium, using tongs stand each piece on its side and cook, turning pieces as necessary until sides are well browned and internal temperature registers 145-150 degrees on a meat thermometer. Transfer to platter and let rest.

** Personal notes. This recipe was delicious. This is like pork chops updated. They weren't dried out and the way the tops cook in the little bit of bacon grease really brings out the flavor. This is the second time I've had these (the first time I made them myself) and I probably wouldn't go back to regular pork chops. A couple more things. I cooked these on my pancake griddle so as to have enough room for all of them to cook evenly at one time. Finally, I just bought the pre-cut pork tenderloin chops from Costco. They were cut thick enough and that really is the key to keeping these from drying out. Keep them thick and cook them slow. This recipe was found at www.americastestkitchen.com if you want illustrations and more in depth information.

Broccoli & Cauliflower Supreme

4 oz Fat free cream cheese
1/4 cup fat free peppercorn ranch dressing (I used lite original ranch)
1 T Dijon Mustard
3 C cauliflower florets, steamed, drained
6 C broccoli florets, steamed, drained
1/2 C crushed Ritz crackers

Place cream cheese, cubed, dressing and mustard in microwavable bowl. Microwave on high 30-45 seconds or until cream cheese is softened. Stir until well blended. Toss hot cooked vegetables with sauce mixture. Spoon into serving bowl; sprinkle with crushed crackers. Makes 6 servings.

Best-Ever Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake

1 pkg (8 squares) Bakers semi-sweet baking chocolate
1 pkg chocolate cake mix
1 pkg chocolate flavor instant pudding mix
4 eggs
1 C sour cream
1/2 C oil
1/2 C water
1 tub (8 oz) cool whip (I used reduced fat)
2 T sliced almonds (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9 inch round pans (I used square.) Chop 2 chocolate squares into rough chunks. Set aside. Beat cake mix, dry pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil, and water in large bowl with electric mixer. When mixed stir in chopped chocolate. Spoon into prepared pans.

Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on racks. Remove from pans and cool completely.

Place frozen whipped topping and remaining 6 chocolate squares in microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high 1 1/2 minutes or until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Stir after the first minute. Let stand 15 minutes to thicken. Place one layer of cake on serving platter. Top with 1/4 chocolate mixture, spread. Top with second cake layer. Spread remaining chocolate mixture around cake. Garnish with almonds. Store in the refrigerator.

**Believe it or not, my cake actually looked as good as the one in the picture. I did mine square, however. I was a little uncertain about microwaving the cool whip, but it did turn out to be a great chocolate mixture.

No comments: