Tuesday, April 29, 2008

FrontRunner

Today the kids and I rode FrontRunner to Salt Lake. For those of you who are outside of Utah, FrontRunner is a new high speed (up to 79 mph) commuter train that goes between Ogden and Salt Lake. It opened for service this past weekend and up until May 1st they are giving free rides. It's really cool. The kids and I see it pass all the time when we go to the "train park" (a park nearby our house where the trains go past. To read about my obsession with trains, go back to the end of February.) We were eager to get a ride. This will be great for our Salt Lake outings, especially this Christmas it will be great to ride it down to see the Temple Square lights.
Waiting for the train at the Roy stop.
This was on the way south. When we got to Salt Lake, we rode Trax over to the Gateway and had lunch together. After lunch we walked over to the Church Art History museum. Alyssa liked all the pioneer stuff. Then we went upstairs to the "I Am A Child of God" exhibit. Alyssa really liked this too. I didn't think there was as much for Ian to do, but he stayed busy enough. After the museum we walked back to a Trax station and rode it back to the Intermodal hub to catch FrontRunner again.Self-portrait photo I took with Alyssa while waiting for the train.

A shot Alyssa took of all the people waiting to board the train to go North again. We waited for all these people to leave and then we were able to be first to get on the next train so we could for sure get a seat. Alyssa wanted to sit on the upper level on the way home, the photo below is of the kids on the upper level. Ian fell asleep shortly after this photo was taken.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I can't believe it's finally done! It looks so nice! Wish they would have had it when Lee was commuting to Salt Lake everyday. What a fun day!

Angie said...

We rode the train on Tuesday, too! We also went to Gateway for lunch and then rode it home. The kids had fun, but it was really crowded!