Sunday, April 27, 2008

Potty Training Advise

So I need your help. I am thinking that I need to probably get going on the whole potty training thing with Ian. He will be 3 in August. With Alyssa it came so easily. She was the one who got it all started and she was eager to learn and it just happened so effortlessly. Because of this, I feel like I don't know what I'm doing with Ian. He showed some interest quite a while back, but nothing really came of it. So here's where you come in:

1. How do you know if he's really ready? Or will he ever really be, do I just start teaching him anyway?
2. Were do I start with a boy? I mean, just buy him some underwear and start putting him on the potty?
3. Any other advise for potty training in general, but particularly for a boy?

I have done this before (obviously since this is my second child) but somehow I feel like I have to figure these things out all over again. I'm looking forward to all your suggestions and advise.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

My boys never did really potty train until they actually turned 3. I tried and tried and tried with them, but until they were ready, they just wouldn't do it. I think Lee helped them more than I did, because he knows how to go like a boy! LOL We did teach them to stand up from the beginning, and both of them liked trying to aim for something in the toilet (like a cheerio). After training three kids, I have come to the conclusion that you just show them how to do it, give them lots to drink, take them every 15 minutes for a few hours so they get the hang of it, and then let them decide when they actually want to start doing it themselves. I have never been able to force mine to go. But, I do put underwear on them and endure the accidents because if you keep putting diapers or pull-ups on, they will hardly ever have the initiative to go by themselves. It's just too easy to go in their diaper. Good luck! Don't worry if he's not ready yet. I only start worrying after they have been 3 for a few months. Boys are slower!

Angie said...

I ended up teaching Jackson sitting down. Before preschool Brandon taught him about standing up. I don't know if Jackson is really skilled or if it was sitting then standing, but he hardly ever misses so there's little major cleanup for me.

Sam is interested for a day or two and then he loses interest. So I'm just going to guess he's not ready. Good luck--hopefully Sam's closer to being out of a diaper for swimming season or he won't be going into the pool!