Friday, January 2, 2009

Goals

I'm not one for making New Year's Resolutions. Or at least I haven't been in the past. I think I've always resisted because it seems so cliche and most people don't keep them anyway. Last year at this time I was feeling so inspired and I actually set some goals. I even wrote them down on a document on the computer. I haven't looked at them for a while but I've seen the file name looming at me every time I open some other personal files. Since it has been a year I decided to see exactly what was going through my head a year ago.

I'm not going to share those goals here, but lets just say I didn't complete any of them. Sad, I know. If I was to make new goals this year I think they would be pretty much the same thing, with a few changes. In general I would say I am a goal setter, I just resist setting goals at this one time of year. However, I think this year I am going to try again to complete these goals. I would like to set some goals as a family this year too.

Sunday in church the woman who spoke (who happens to be Jason's 5th grade teacher) gave some very good points about setting goals.
  • Keep your goals realistic—not so high they’re impossible to attain. Set some little goals. The more you reach, the better you’ll feel about yourself.
  • Write each of your goals down. Remember, a goal not written is only a wish.
  • Share your goals with a friend, and encourage that person to set some, too. That way you can motivate and applaud each other.
  • Be committed to your goals. Do what you have to do to achieve them, and don’t become discouraged if they’re challenging to reach.
  • Don’t compete with others. Compete with yourself. Don’t make your goals depend on another’s performance. Decide to attain a certain level of personal excellence no matter what others achieve.
  • Share your goals with Heavenly Father. Talk to him in prayer. Ask for help in reaching your goals—or in understanding why you didn’t. He’ll help you feel good about the positive things you achieve. Source
So, if for nothing else, this post is for me. To remind me that I want to do a little better and hopefully remind me to look back on my goals more often, rather than forget about them until next year.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

So true! Good luck in attaining them.