Thursday, February 26, 2009

Draper Temple Open House


As many of you know the new Draper Temple is having an open house. I had kind of brushed off the idea of going because I figured I'd just go do a session there sometime. But then I was thinking about all of my friends who read this blog who live outside of Utah. Knowing most of you as well as I do I was thinking that if a temple open house was happening near where you live you'd drop everything and attend. I also got thinking that if I didn't take the kids I'd be passing up a great teaching opportunity. So I made a reservation for the kids and I for this afternoon (we decided not to wait for a day when Jason could go with us because we didn't want to wait in long lines on a Saturday and the open house is nearly over.)

It was absolutely beautiful. I don't even know what else to say about it. Just peaceful and beautiful. I asked Alyssa on our way home what she thought about it and she said it was more beautiful than she thought it would be. I thought the colors inside were so warm and peaceful. The chandeliers and other workmanship were spectacular. The moments for teaching that I had hoped for with Alyssa especially were exactly what I wanted. I am so glad we went. The Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple will hold its open house beginning in June and I am planning on taking the kids to it as well.

I am so glad we went. Alyssa kept telling me she wished we could go back. I used this as the perfect opportunity to talk to her about living her life in a way so that she can go back when she is old enough.

Here are some pictures we took of the outside of the temple after the tour.

Alyssa wanted to take a picture of Ian and I. Then Ian wanted to take a picture of me with Alyssa. I let him because I figured if it looked terrible I'd just delete it. It turned out pretty good:

2 comments:

Emily said...

I went to the one up in Rexburg last year, since that was where I grew up. It was so peaceful just like you say. What a good idea to take your kids. I'm embarassed to say that never occurred to me. It would be a wonderful teaching opportunity. Thanks for sharing.

Jenny said...

It looks so beautiful! I am glad you decided to go.