I feel compelled to say a little something today about our prophet's passing. I was quite shocked when I received the call from my mom. Although at his age it is sort of expected, he seemed to defy expectations and fulfilled quite a rigorous schedule. At the last few conferences he has made a comment about how he would not be here forever, but he seemed so strong and quick minded that it seemed impossible for something to happen. Perhaps if I had seen some sort of decline recently it wouldn't have been such a surprise.
However sad I feel, I am sure he is quite relieved to have this heavy burden lifted from his shoulders and be reunited with his beloved wife and other family members. I can't imagine how hard it must have been to fulfill such a calling in this life. He has carried this task for so many years that I can only guess that he can rest now.
I'm sure anyone else reading this could also agree that he seemed not the complete stranger that he is, but almost like a member of my family...kind of a grandfather figure. For this reason he will be so missed. I think this coming conference in April will be a little strange without him there. I am certain that the new prophet will find an equally special place in my heart though.
On a personal note. I was reflecting on some of my memories of him and thought of the time he did a devotional at the institute at Weber State. I was in my freshman year there (April 15, 1997 to be exact.) He was scheduled for the Tuesday devotional so my roommate Nicole, her boyfriend Phil and I went to the institute on Monday night to get a place in line. If I remember correctly, Phil slept out there and held our place. The next morning when they let us in we had front row seats. As I referred to my journal about this I found that we were sitting directly across from President and Sister Hinckley when they came in. I noted about how I felt such a strong spirit when he entered the room. What a thrill. I also commented in my journal about how the spirit was so incredibly strong and yet it felt like such a causal atmosphere with his joking and all. I also recalled how he bore his testimony to us. So I quote from my journal from that date:
"I really felt the spirit. I can honestly say that I know that he is a prophet of God. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind. I felt something so special when he looked right at me. This church is true, I have no doubt about that either."
1 comment:
Thanks MaryLee. I enjoyed your thoughts. What a wonderful time to be alive!
Post a Comment