Sunday, January 13, 2008

Jane Austen fans listen up!

Jane Austen's "Persuasion" is quite possibly my favorite movie. I never get sick of watching it (in fact I watched it just a couple of weeks ago.) It is right up there with "Pride & Prejudice." Although, it may surpass it simply because it isn't quite as long. It's the story of a woman (Anne) who is still unmarried at age 27 and regrets letting her family persuade her to refuse a proposal of marriage by Capt. Wentworth. In the film, he has re-entered her life causing romantic tension. (Sigh) It's so great.

Getting to the point though...I read in the newspaper this morning that Masterpiece Theater is undergoing a makeover and as the launch of this new look (trying to appeal to younger viewers) they are kicking it off with: "The Complete Jane Austen." Starting tonight with "Persuasion", then next week, "Northanger Abbey", then "Mansfield Park", (neither of which I am familiar with but I am looking forward to watching anyway) and finally, "Sense and Sensibility" (not the Hugh Grant version).

This is a re-make, so I hope I'm not disappointed, but I'm giving it a try. It starts tonight, Sunday at 8:00 on PBS (Channel 7). That's only local here. If you live somewhere else you'll have to check your local listings.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I recently watched the Masterpiece Theatre version of Jane Eyre. It was awesome! Maybe this will be good too. Thanks for letting me know!